Thursday 4 February 2010

I am a terrible blogger.

I promised myself I wouldn't end up getting too far behind with this thing. And yet here we are, in February, and I am still on about the pre-Christmas line up. No more!

I was going to talk about Islay, so here are some things I feel are highly evocative of the trip:
powder snow sinking in and dusting over the sand so the beach turned as white as they sky and only the mirroring sea was distinguishable; the tree that looked like a man from a distance; the iron ship hull on kilcomman beach that I hadn't even realised existed because the tide is never that far out; the snow-seagull; parsnip crisp soup and clootie dumpling in Ardbeg; waving to every driver we passed; brakes failing in the snow; shortbread and tablet made by my dad's elderly patient and Gordon's mum; Gavia sprawling over everyone's bed; Robin attacking me and making me fall over and nearly flash everyone; the white dog that looked like a cross between a bear and a powderpuff; an entire smoked salmon; looking over the Loch Indall and seeing Jura's hills covered in pristine white snow.

A weekend of wine, food, whiskey, the sea, the snow and general meandering throughout Port Charlotte. I have decided I will have my 21st there.

Christmas was wonderful. It was a white Christmas I think for the first time in 10 years, if not longer. I was so completely happy that day. I had my pink and blue silk saree on that I wore for Divali and I felt pretty good, even if I did keep standing on my sash. I got many amazing presents, including a brilliant canvas shopper with a foil printed Tunnocks Teacake on the front, thigh high leather boots, a leather jacket and a plastic badge that resembles the posh lady with the purple poodle out of the animated version of 101 Dalmations. Once more, the ladies won outright at Articulate and Iain said some vaguely inappropriate things as is his wont when surrounded by my family. I enjoyed it very much.

Between Christmas and New Year there was a bit of a blur of activity. I got ready to leave and spent time with people as much as possible. Grace left for Ghana. I had my last milk Oolong in Tchai Ovna for the next few months. It snowed some more. My parents and I spent a brilliant afternoon in Mugdock Country Park. The branches had crazy ice formations on them that made them look like the were frosted with sharpened glass. 

New Year's Eve was also a success from my point of view. My last night to see my friends for the next five months. It was sad to have to say goodbye again, but not nearly as bad as the first time. I am glad I went home to see them all, even if I was running from one thing to the next and didn't get to spend proper time with anyone. We spent the night dancing to terrible 80s music and eating various muffin concoctions, including a feta and sun dried tomato variety that was surprisingly moreish. I drank the champagne my Great Gran had kept for me, but stopped after the bells so as to be able to drive home the next day. On New Year Day I had to go to jack and Susan's, my grandparents' friends, for a wee bit and pay my respects to the relatives before I was off. I was sad to leave my Great Gran again. I really missed her last semester. The letters she sent me were so uplifting and depressing all at once. It isn't nice to leave the people who are in your life. My little cousin Hannah wore harem pants and an Oriental collar jacket. That night we had a family dinner, watched the last ever Dr Who and cried over David Tennant and the lack of time. 

On 2nd January, I made my way once more to the sub-continent. This time, Iain was coming with me.

And I almost didn't make it. At Heathrow I was told I had no ticket, and had to buy a new one. You can imagine the moment of panic, I am sure, upon being told the flight you had booked for two months was in fact not booked in any way, shape or form. Thankfully the ladies at the Air India desk were sympathetic, and I got on the flight nevertheless. 

So. That was home. I am glad I went, and upset that I had to leave everything again. The holiday was too short, but I nearly went straight back to the airport when I returned to Delhi, so perhaps if it had been longer I would have refused altogether. The people in this place are what keeps me here. I know I am having a good time. I know I am lucky. I know I am seeing and doing things I would not have the chance to do at home. But in all reality it is my friends, the people I have met here, that I want to stay here for and not just treat it all as some strange extended holiday that I could back out of. I want to be able to stay with them as long as possible. I will see my friends, family and boy again, but I might not see these girls and guys for years, if at all. And that is definitely worth the stress of walking down our road after dark!



No comments:

Post a Comment