Friday 12 February 2010

Slowly but surely...

Slowly but surely I am catching up with myself.

Iain's trip to India:

1. The guest house we stayed in was down a back street in Karol Bagh. You have little idea how happy I was that I decided we would stay in a five star place for the final two nights just so that we had heating. The floor was cold stone, they over-charged for what you got and the bathroom was shared. Not overly romantic. Not that this was an issue as we were generally so tired after a day full of running about like idiots trying to fit everything in to the tiny amount of time Iain spent here. 

2. Had my third (twice was enough) trip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal and Agra Fort. I am now entirely sure I never need to see Agra again. And yet, I am going to be with Emma. Sigh. Stupid Wonder of the World being beautiful and accessible to me...
We did find a Costa Coffee though in Agra. For all those who would declaim me for being excited about a Costa in India when I should be stopping at a roadside tchai wallah for authenticity's sake, I say this: Agra is a hole. It is a complete state of a city with more rubbish than is usual (and that is saying something for a country with negligible waste disposal at the best of times) and a reputation for giving all who go there some form of food poisoning. So a Costa is a clean oasis in a desert of dust, discarded plastic, and flies. Don't judge me until you go and see for yourself.
Had my first ' you hold my fat baby' photo experience. Most gratifying. I felt more white than I had done in a while.

3. Had a bit of a freak out in Jaipur airport. Thought I might have to go home for a moment or two but I was probably just a bit tired. that's what three a.m starts can do to a girl.

4. Iain and I explored Delhi with the assistance of Lauren and Amanda. It was nice to be able to show Iain all of the little hangouts we have and prove to him that it ain't all bad once you get used to it. He particularly enjoyed Cafe Turtle and a very posh restaurant in South called Bakura. It is in the Maurya Sheratoun and it is incredibly expensive but highly worth it. The best tandoori food you will have in Delhi as far as I can tell so far. Iain even had them pack the lamb we shared and brought it back to the hotel to munch on as a midnight snack while we watched Up together. We also went to Karims: a tiny little conglomeration of kebab shops in Chandni Chowk beside the Jama Masjid. The naan bread there was absolutely divine I have to say. Amanda and I had a lovely almond, date and paneer curry called 'Karim's Special Veg' that was incredibly creamy and very unusual. We were practically scraping the bowl with the naan to try and scoop up the last dribbles of the gravy. I also took him to AIM cafe. After he had left for home, the nice girl (who I recently found out is called Yung) complimented me on his hair and thought it was very sad he wasn't here any more to keep me company. All of my friends in the hostel that got to meet him were incredibly impressed with him as well. Apparently we match one another. How cute. How nauseating.

It was very embarrassing at the airport saying goodbye to him. I was sobbing hysterically and getting a lot of odd looks from the Sikh gentlemen who were exchanging pleasantries beside me. It was such a deflated feeling once I got back into the hostel, but life in the convent goes on. 

Iain seemed to cope with the poverty and everything he thought would get to him incredibly well. He even (shock, horror) had a good time. I think he liked the Lotus Temple and the food the most. He is a huge fan of modern architecture, so it isn't too surprising. He left with many presents, wall-hangings and tchai. I am happy he came, and even happier he enjoyed himself seeing as it was so difficult to convince him to come in the first place. He says that he has been inspired to travel more now that he has made the leap, which makes me very glad, as I love to travel and explore new places and revisit old ones. You can't ask for more than that really. 



No comments:

Post a Comment