Sunday 15 November 2009

7th to the 15th November

Is it bad that I can’t really remember what is happening anymore? I got sick again. I actually have slept probably 2/3rds of this entire week. It is very naughty of me. Hence why this update sucks ass once again. I need to get out of the habit of sleeping and more into the habit of writing. Or you know, studying for my exams…However, apart from my vomiting and work avoidance, some of the highlights included:

1.   Ben went to hospital on Monday. He had a fever and wasn’t feeling particularly great so they took him in and shoved him on a drip, as they seem wont to do with all Westerners. He was in St Stephen’s hospital near Kashmere Gate, which is a more upscale hospital but nothing on the same scale as Max Super Specialty Hospital. At least his room was clean and so on. We went to visit him on Monday evening and he seemed to be a lot better, but they still hadn’t told him what was wrong with him. He had some pills that I asked my mum about on the phone while we were there and she pretended not to know and then called me back later telling me they were malaria pills. By this point Ben was out of hospital though. It is slightly worrying that they didn’t tell him they were giving him these things and also that he didn’t need them at all and yet they gave them to him anyways.

2.   Spent all of Tuesday in Select City Walk mall with Lauren. It was such a waste of a day, but we had a good time. We tried on stupid dresses in all the shops, I got purple jeans, she got a new dress and a back pack, we had coffee and ice cream. All most enjoyable. We also went to see The Time Traveller’s Wife, which was all right and very upsetting. The dialogue was more than slightly cheesy and stilted and the little girl was bloody annoying. It did manage to make me sob hysterically however, but that doesn’t take too much effort if I am being honest. When we came out the cinema my face was red with tears and we went for dinner. The men in the restaurant gave us the drink menu as soon as we walked in and asked if we were ok. They seemed to find it very funny when we ordered some restorative cocktails…

3.   Turns out my laptop is somehow partly responsible for the bad internet signal in AIM café. This made me very upset at the time, especially as Ward and Ben were teasing me about it, and even the owner asked me to stop using it. Skype is a bit of a lifeline for me. I know I should be content with being able to speak to people as a lot of people don’t even have that, but being able to see them is important to me. It isn’t the end of the world as will be going home soon, but it is a bit peeving and annoying.

4.   Went to Living Room café on Thursday night to say farewell to Amanda. She is leaving for Goa on Saturday (so soon!). The food is really nice and the music and atmosphere seems good too. it would be good to go in a smaller group maybe, as the full force were out to say farewell. I got a bit drunk, I must admit, as I hadn’t had lunch and then ate a lot of rich food and drank a lot of alcohol and my system said ‘NO’. However, after being sick I managed to rejoin the party and even had a cappuccino with no further ado. Lauren however on the way home got struck down with terrible food poisoning, probably the prawns we had eaten. She must have got the one bad prawn, the poor girl. All the way home we had to stop the rickshaw a lot to let her vomit. Not nice. She took a ciproxin though once she was in and is fine. Ciproxin = magic pill.

5.   Friday night before Amanda leaving and we got take away from On the Go and watched District 9. It is a strange documentary style film about aliens coming to live in Johannesburg and they set up a slum. It is a vague allegory for apartheid, and there was a lot of fuss about it when it came out as it does paint Nigerians in a slightly bad light, not to mention the entire population of Johannesburg and their treatment of migrant or refugee communities. I would recommend it to people though. It is essentially an alien shoot-em-up film, but it does have a wider meaning behind all the gore that is evident and not lost in it. The way it has been shot was also interesting, gave the whole thing a new angle.

6.   Amanda left on Saturday morning. We all got up early to wave her tearfully away and then went back to bed. She texted us at about half four in a panic though as none of the taxi drivers knew where the yoga centre was, but she calmed down and asked for directions and this morning she messaged to say she was alright. We tried to call last night, but her phone was unreachable. Apparently the signal is really bad where she is so I guess we won’t hear much out of her.

7.   I have exams in a week and I am not prepared AT ALL. BAH. I hate this shit. Damned classes. I have also seen three men shaking themselves after pissing today and although it ain't as bad as some things I have seen, I still don't want to see it and it doesn't put you in the best of moods... 

No comments:

Post a Comment