Tuesday 27 October 2009

18th October - 27th October

There is little point trying to track the past week and a half, so I will just summarise right now and get us all up to speed before I leave for Pushkar.

1.   5 Muslim widows were beaten and stripped in a village in the North for being labeled witches. The village had women with supposed spiritual powers to find witches and named these widows as some. What makes this incident different though is that someone managed to catch it on camera. The BBC had thirty seconds of the footage on their website; it was quite shocking actually. Widows are generally targeted in Indian society with discrimination, but little is done about it. This video has cause outrage however, as no one can ignore it when it is all over the internet. It is strange that these sort of things happen still…the whole village turned out to see these women be ridiculed and abused, and did nothing to stop it. they didn’t all actively participate, but they at least obviously accepted it.

 

2.   The weekend was a bad weekend for me and men. Apart from Saturday morning, when I got to speak to Iain on skype for the first time in a while (which was brilliant), the male sex did not show themselves particularly well. Firstly, on our way to AIM, Amanda and I saw yet another (or maybe the same) wanking man at the bus stop near our hostel. Just lying in the middle of the pavement. We could have screamed; we were so angry and frustrated. That bus stop isn’t quiet – little children use it to get to and from school! Any one could have seen him! I mean, if you are going to do it then for fuck’s sake go down a back alley or something! It ain’t like we have a shortage of them! Or at least, somewhere other than at the freaking bus stop! So angering. In the evening we went out to Brunelle’s for a drink as it was her birthday a few days ago. She has a friend called Samuel who seemed to have interesting ideas about me, and Guillame told him that I had a boyfriend. However, later in the night once we had returned from our dub-step night (more on which later), he was sitting with me outside and then asked me what my views on commitment were! I told him that if you were committed to someone, then that was it. He asked how that could make you happy and I said that if you love someone and they make you happy then there is no issue as far as I can see. He was a persistent little one. Telling me about how long it was since I had seen my boyfriend…urgh…the French…why must they be sleazy! Worse than Frenchie though was the men at the Dub night. The music was surprisingly good for a Dub step night in Delhi, but the club was terrible. Full of men who spent the night groping us. Horrible! I have never had so many gropes/attempts upon me made in the space of two hours in all my days. The men at Urban Pind at least have the decency to ask your permission to dance with you. These men just decided to take their chances and cheap thrills. It was so nasty, and some of them were quite violent about it. Not impressed. You can imagine my mood when I had had to deal with all this and then came back to have amorous French man try it on. It was all topped off on Sunday when I had a bag full of peanuts lobbed at me by two guys on a motorbike. It hurt like hell. Turns out nuts are quite good ballast.

Bastards the lot of them.

3.   I got an A in two of the three essays I have handed in! I am so happy about it.

4.   I am off to Pushkar on Thursday! There is a camel fair in which loads of camel traders come together and try to sell their camels. First though they dress them up in pompoms and ribbons and race them. What more can you want from a festival? It is a return to Rajasthan as well, so I will hopefully be able to acquire many more shiny things…will be good!

5.   It has finally dropped below thirty degrees. I am shocked. At night I need a sweater. I think I may actually have caught a cold from shock. It isn’t good for my diet though, as now everything isn’t a massive effort due to the heat so I will have stop eating so much ice cream…not good!

No comments:

Post a Comment