Tuesday 27 October 2009

Episode Five - the best one really...

SO here I am at the end of the saga. It was spent lazing around Delhi, and few notable things happened. Except for one particularly traumatic experience. I was picking up a saree blouse I was getting made at a tailors in Connaught Place and they asked me to try it on to make sure it was ok. So I went upstairs to the changing room, and, knowing that it could be one of those situations I might come to regret, I looked all over for spy holes. I couldn’t see any, so I took off my t-shirt to try the blouse on, and just as I took it off I happened to glance upwards. What I had thought was a fan grate was in fact not really, and there was a man staring down at me! I was completely shocked and yelled ‘Fuck Off!’ but he kept looking while I put my top back on as quick as I could and came out the changing room and started to yell. How dare they! And then they had the tenacity to deny it had ever happened! Telling me it couldn’t be true and that I needed to calm down! Twats. I just couldn’t believe somewhere on Connaught Place would allow that sort of thing. My mum was really angry as well. I yelled for a bout five mintues then went outside and began to cry. Some men came up to me to see if I was ok and told me to go tell the police. Their concern restored my faith a little bit, but there is no point going to the police because it’ll just be a big palaver and even then a shop full of men and one white girl kicking up a fuss: who they going to listen to? I was so angry. Absolutely furious. Mum and I got an auto back. The man who got it for us told me not to cry. I like how people use ‘baby’, or ‘sister’ or ‘didi’ here as terms of address. I was furious for a good hour afterwards. Told Amanda and she shared my fury, which helped. Me and mum had a green tea body wrap booked in as well, and I think that helped calm me down. They sit you in a steam room and cook you for ten minutes. I had to sit with my eyes closed breathing through my nose or else I thought I would choke. And then they cover you in green tea mud, and then wrap you in a sort of electric blanket, and cook you some more. They also give you a head massage. All most relaxing. The icing on the cake was the cup of green tea they gave you afterwards. My skin felt like a baby’s as well. It was great. It was very annoying, when we went out later that night for dinner, I couldn’t help but feel scared of the fan grills in the ladies’ loos. That night Amanda and the Dutch and Egle joined us for some drinks in the hotel. My parents approved of them I think – none of them are particularly insane, and all much older than me, so better at holding themselves well in conversations with new people.
Today, the last day, is Diwali. We got up late and went to the Lodii Gardens for a wander. There were only a few families out having picnics…I thought there would be more, but I guess it would be kind of like going out on Christmas Day for a picnic. Mum and Dad much preferred this bit of Delhi. It is hard to believe it exists really when compared to everything around it. Euan got hungry as well, so we went along to the American diner and he had half a fried chicken and cheesecake. So at least he had one definitely good meal. We just went back to the hotel and swam a lot afterwards and then got ready to go to the Imperial hotel. The Imperial is an old hotel from colonial era, and has been recently renovated. It is beautiful. I would love to spend the night there: so luxurious and opulent! It was covered in white fairy lights as well, which made it even more beautiful and extravagant feeling. I had on my new saree, which makes me feel like a princess. It is pink and blue silk with golden highlights throughout the fabric. I had it on myself, but the lady in the Lalit loos showed me a different, and better, way of doing it that stopped it falling down all night. I was most grateful: I like how older Indian women just commandeer you if you are in a saree and treat you like their daughter for ten minutes while they fuss over you. It is very maternal and a good feeling. I got compliments on my saree all night actually, including from the restaurant manager in the Imperial, which made me very happy, as I felt great so it was nice to know I didn’t look half bad too. It is definitely getting an airing when I get home!
Sunday: the rents went home. I got up for a last swim and then we just sat and chatted. It seems that India has made an impression. Mum wants to come back and go to the North East and to the South. I think Dad wants to come back too, but I am unsure about Euan! They said that they agree with me when I say that this place makes a mark on you – you can’t help but feel differently having been here. Even if it just makes you think twice before throwing away a plastic bottle that can be used for water again because you have realised where the rubbish will end up, it does make a distinct impression.
I can’t quite believe that the rents have left actually. When they went on Sunday morning, I was nearly in tears and mum was crying again. It wasn’t very nice. But I have had such an awesome time with them. It was so god to just get out of Delhi finally and see a bit more of the country and have a deserved holiday. I am also glad they came out here and saw where I am for themselves, as there really is nothing I can say that can ever fully communicate what it is to be in this country. It felt very weird not to be leaving to go home with them though, just like any other family holiday. I am finding it hard now to get back into the daily grind, especially as it is still holiday mode for a few people, and so many of my classes have been cancelled in favour of celebrations for various diwali-related things. It has made me miss home as well. I have been here almost three months now – it is a long time to go without the familiar. So to have the family here was…weird, and brilliant and also sad, as I had to remain and they went back home. I guess the fact that I have the hostel and so many friends there is very lucky. Though I will miss the Lalit beds…

No comments:

Post a Comment