Saturday 3 October 2009

2nd October

Last night was the worst night’s sleep I have had in memory. Here is my night:

Went to bed at 11 and woke up as chirpy as anything at 1 am. Decided I must be too hot so got up and got some water and walked about for five minutes. By this point, pretty sure I am not going back to sleep any time soon so went downstairs to TV room. Six other girls in the TV room watching films. I sit in with them until 3.30 am. For a while I chat to some of them about religion. Tried to explain scientology, which was fun. They had no idea that Tom Cruise was one, but once I explained it they said that it made sense, as he is crazy. They were shocked and appalled about John Travolta though. After that enlightening conversation, I went back up to my room to try and sleep. Sleep still wasn’t happening, so I went on Facebook. Since it was half ten or whatever at home, loads of people were on. I asked Gavia her usual insomnia coping techniques and her advice was fanfiction. It was not so bad though that I felt the need to resort to rambling tales. Instead chatted for a while and then decided another attempt to sleep would be made. The attempt once more failed. Switched comuter back on and wrote 500 words of my essay straight off that I am incredibly happy with. Surprisingly lucid at 4.30am. Went for another walk to try and cool myself down and tire myself out. A shining example of how bad it is: a girl was in the gym at 5am. I decided to join her and tire myself out with a ten minute walk on treadmill. Finally managed to sleep at half past five, and then woke up chirpy once more at 7am.

NOT NORMAL.

I usually need like twelve hours sleep at home or I am a zombie. Today I have had three hours of sleep and yet I am up and at ’em. I do not understand it. I have even been to the gym AGAIN this morning to try and tire my body out. I should not be able to run 5 km on three hours sleep. I have even written most of my essay. I just do not understand.

Stayed in the hostel all day working. Managed to do a bit more as it was a bit cooler. It is never good when your night is more eventful than your day is.

After dinner Amanda and I went to the TV room and watched some films. I brought my cookies and sat munching most of them. They are amazing cookies: oats and everything. I am going to sit in here until I can stand it no more. I feel that if I tire myself out enough before the first attempt at sleep it may go better.

Had a chat with Elmira this evening about SWA and the new president. Apparently she got in a fight with our Provost about Elmira. She had called Elmira to her room saying that every day Elmira would have to come and take down points for an agenda that she had thought of for every meeting. Elmira didn’t know what ‘agenda’ meant and apparently this disqualifies her from being in SWA. Elmira also pointed out (when she knew what was meant) that she doesn’t have the time to come to the girl every day and take down these notes and that she should make note of them herself so that when SWA meets everyone can contribute straight off. And that was that for Elmira. The girl said she was out of SWA! The president of our hostel union doesn’t have the power to fire people from the union – everyone was elected. Just because Elmira didn’t have time to take down her thoughts! So the president told the the Provost Elmira was out, and the Provost pointed out she couldn’t do that, as Elmira, as we all were, was elected. And apparently the girl went crazy and now the Provost is saying if she doesn’t calm down then she will hold new elections. We had no idea she was so power-driven. It is true that whenever she has spoken to me she has been very serious and sour-faced – as if she were president of India, and not a student house for girls! All our SWA is for is to make life easier and better for ourselves; it isn’t to run a tight ship! Elmira also told me that she had the hair fall problem as well, and started using henna to condition her hair every month or so. It doesn’t dye her hair because it is black, but I think if I put it on my hair for only 45 mins or so it should be alright. I used to use henna when I was younger. You get it in blocks in Lush, and then make a paste with it that looks ever so slightly like manure. Ah well, if it stops my hair coming out I don’t mind. We have all decided it is the water. It made Amanda’s eyes burn the other day. It is full of god knows what. With all the pollution and the acidic water, my skin is buggered as well. I have spots! I never had spots…and my skin is really rough. One of the nuns who has been here for 8 years now has black marks on her skin that have developed due to the pollution. How horrifying is that?

I stayed up and watched Hot Chick: an awful film about a girl and guy who swap bodies due to some African voodoo earrings. It was entertaining enough however and to be honest, at 1am, who cares? My artistic appreciation has gone out the window. This had better work...

No comments:

Post a Comment