Friday 28 August 2009

27th August

Turned up with Tanya to our English class this morning, only to find it was cancelled for the DUTA (Delhi Uni Teacher’s Assoc.) elections. Went and sat on one of the benches outside and talked for a bit until we got covered in ants and god knows what else. She asked me why I had wanted to come here, as some Indian people were so unfriendly, and mean. The men in the English Office are mean to be sure, but for the most part, everyone here is incredibly friendly and welcoming. It can get slightly invasive, coming form such a standoffish place as Britain. We don’t go up to random strangers and hold their hand and ask them every detail of their family and personal life. But here, there is no embarrassment. Most people just seem to want to practice their English, and they are all genuinely curious about us. I suppose that because of family and caste relationships here, asking someone what their father’s name is and what he does can automatically place that person in the caste hierarchy and then you know how to treat them. Of course, don’t get me wrong; there are creeps enough to keep us occupied. Last night when Lauren and I were coming home from AIM a man and his son rode past on a bike and yelled Vechya! At us, and I think that means whore. The motorbikes all swerve to hit you and then turn at the last minute. A car decided to curb crawl for a little so we had to resort to the cholera-ditch pavement.

After this, I went to Barista and had an espresso to try and wake myself up. It was not particularly great however, so I think I might steer clear of that one from now on.

History class this morning was on, despite elections. I am glad our History professor seems less concerned with the millions of possible days off he could have and actually wants to teach us, unlike so many of the others. Today’s lecture was on the decline of Mughal legitimization of the EIC in the 1830s and 1840s, in an attempt to show that 1857 wasn’t the only breaking point of Mughal sovereignty. Of course it was a major factor, as the trial of Bahadur Shah Zafar demonstrates. The British tried him for treason, but up until that point the British had acted as diwans of the emperor, actively gaining a ferman (order) to rule over the territory they did. Until the 1830s they had even paid nazr, or tribute, regularly to the emperor. Their active engagement in court protocol meant that the emperor was sovereign. Effectively, the British tried Bahadur for treason against himself.

We also began to talk about racial theory as a major structure in colonialism, and I think this topic is going to be incredibly interesting. I really enjoyed the small bits of it we did in 2nd year about racial discourse, pseudo-science and the creation of the ‘other’ in popular culture.

After history, myself and Amanda parted ways for our separate coffee houses. I found out the word for chickpea curry thing is ‘chole’. Always useful. Went to Coffee Day after lunch and had a Kaapi Nirvana. We need to stop having so many iced coffees, but damn they are just so good. There was a really loud American in the café who had his socks on in his sandals. It made me cringe. He had acquired an entourage of curious Indian guys who kept giggling at him and his incredibly loud accent. I know it is a stereotype of sorts, but Americans can be very loud and very brash if they feel like it.

The rain began whilst I was in the café and didn’t seem to be letting up any time soon. I like the rain here. It is unlike at home, where it is just a continuous rain or drizzle. Here, the rain drops are huge: they really hit you. The streets fill up with water incredibly quickly and soon the place is flooded up to the pavement. I wonder if that is why the pavements are so high here, to keep the flood water off the shop floors. Decided to make a run for it to Hindi and hailed a rickshaw. My driver was great, he sang the entire way and when he reached a flooded part of the road gave my legs a whack and told me to lift them up so he could slice through the water. It was great fun. He was mad. He also tried to charge me 20 Rs to get from Kamla Nagar to the Uni on account of the rain. I gave him 15Rs as a compromise. Really it shouldn’t cost more than 10…but he was quite cool and I liked his singing.

The road into the Conference Centre was blocked with water so I had to hitch my trousers up and wade. Thankfully did not feel anything more offensive than a leaf around my leg. Hindi was quite good today, though we are incredibly incompetent. We were taught the past tense today, and I can say with confidence that my understanding has hit a brick wall. Once more however, the feminine endings are all the same. At least talking about myself will be relatively simple.

When we came back to the hostel, I went to the gym. It is a great de-stressor. Afterwards I was in the shower when I discovered an ant in my knickers! Absolutely horrifying. Lauren has had ants in her pants already, but I have to say when it happens to you, you cant help but feel a little concerned about where said ant has been for the past few hours.

After dinner Lauren and I went out to AIM and made use of the internet. I managed to skype Iain and Frances. They have both just finished their resits, and Iain had been out to celebrate with Iain-Alex and had a massive hangover. I find it annoying that he never seems to throw up after a night out. I always have terrible hangovers, and always I am sick in the morning. Frances said she was celebrating the sober way by watching Thumbellina. I think I would be with Iain though, and have a stiff drink.

Tried to get mum on Skype, but I think my phone isn’t sending texts, as I have sent a couple in past few days and had no reply. Oh well,

Birthday tomorrow! I am going to be old! People can no longer dismiss me as ‘only a teenager!’ I doubt I will feel any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment