Sunday 23 August 2009

5th August

Today turned out to be Brother-Sister day, which is a festival in which brothers and sisters give each other a bracelet. And the university was closed. Not helpful! We need a calendar badly, as it is incredibly annoying not knowing which days things will be open and which things will not be.

We went to Connaught Place, which was deserted. It is grubby, and desolate and really nto what I had expected at all. I thought it would be quite cosmopolitan, with big shops and stores everywhere, but it was not at all. Quite annoying. Had some frozen yoghurt though, as had nearly fainted on the train. Not so good. We went up to Chandni Chowk as well, but it was just little shops, no market as had been promised. We shall need to look for it on a cooler day.

Had a look at Pardeep’s contract and there are various issues with it. They say they can chuck us out at any time, and that we have to look after the masonry of the building and stuff. These we obviously cannot do. Bloody annoying. They also say that an ‘Act of God’ can destroy the building but our right to rent is still in place. So that means we would have to give notice on a smoking crater? We need a lot of it changed before we can get to sign this thing at the court. They are very pushy about money as well, they keep on asking whne they get our deposit, but they will not get any thing until we have the contract ready and signed. According to Robert and Maria, two PhD students, they had to spend an hour and a half negotiating bit of the contract. I think much walking out may have to ensue before we get our actual contract, as we have already agreed. Tomorrow morning the Dutch folks are going with Pardeep to the court, so one of us will probably go along and make sure that our contract carries the exact same terminology as their contract. Other wise, I get the impression they will screw us over for everything we have if we don’t. P is coming round later to negotiate a little with us, so hopefully the Dutch folks can be present and can make plain their distaste for the whole affair.

Bah.

In other news, today has been the worst day in terms of wanting to go home. I have 112 days till I can, including this one. I cannot wait.  Your family remain your family no matter what, obviously I miss them terribly. But my friends, and my boyfriend, what if they forget me a bit? I don’t think I could cope with that. I want to see them so badly. I think it will be better once we have skype. I cannot wait to move out of this place and get into the flat where I can set up internet connection as soon as.

 

ETA: One of the Dutch guys pulled out. So we are all pulling out. Women’s hostel for us! And Ben seems royally buggered right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment