Sunday 23 August 2009

9th August

Well today we got up really early and threw on some trousers to go get fruit from the stalls up the road. We found one shop that had loads of fruit and juice in it so we stopped and I got pomegranates, pears and orange juice. I am so happy just to have juice it is unreal. I haven’t had any fruit juice since I have been here and I feel so unhealthy right now anyway.

When we came back we tried to do some work in the library, but gave up after an hour or so. Went for lunch, and was mildly surprised that I ate anything, but I guess I have to try and get into the habit of food again. I am just so conscious of how fattening everything here is and I am worried I am going to be like a house side by the end of the month, never mind the year. There is a gym here though, and I hope I can use it once we have applied properly and got a room here. I need to do exercise or I will go insane!

Apparently at dinner there is a hidden dish that you have to go and ask for. We were talking about missing meat, and Lauren said that she had seen a girl with chicken, and that apparently there is meat, it just isn’t out. You have to search for it or charm the mess into giving you it. Its just so bloody typical. We were laughing for ages because, really all you can do is laugh. This entire place seems to work to a logical line and then bang! A mystery, hidden dish lands on your plate. Or not, as the case may be. Nothing is easy in this place, nothing makes any logical sense. When we get back to Edinburgh I think that we will be so shocked when everything runs smoothly, when people are on time for things, or when things happen when people told you they would. How will we cope when all our lecturers turn up on time? When buses leave when they are meant to? When a coffee may actually mean a coffee? It is all just madness. No concept of time exists: you can never be late or early for anything. Things just happen. The plot has already been lost, so what can we do but just take it all as it comes? Iain’s bet with me over who will have a mental break down first with our separate pieces of Indian experience looks like it may come out in my favour. I think so long as I expect nothing, and take nothing at face value, I will be ok. I think I might go get some juice and read my book.

There is a lizard on the wall, which we have named Percival.  He is not very competent at catching flies. In fact, he is useless.

At dinner we enquired about the hidden dish and lo and behold, chicken biryani appeared out of nowhere. Amazing. There was even ice cream! I am so happy with this dinner.

We sat in the TV room for ages tonight flicking through Indian TV channels. We found one that was just mad: it seemed to be a Indian version of Mr Right. Effectively, Indian men danced about in very well rehearsed routines with amazing singing and general bangra insanity. Apparently the woman on it is a bitch and has had tones of plastic surgery. We had a lovely tiny girl from Bhutan telling us what they were saying as they danced about in their ridiculous gaudy outfits. If it doesn’t have sequins, it ain’t good enough for nowt.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment