Sunday 23 August 2009

4th August

Today I went to a morning of English Lectures. I had a really interesting one on Gogol and Cervantes, and there was another on Chaucer. I don’t find Chaucer all too interesting, though the lecturer is an English woman who was very clear and quite a good speaker. I tried to work myself out a timetable, and I think I have managed to do it: 2 English classes and 1 history. Next semester I will have to take two History and one English, but that is ok. I need to work out how I can be assessed. I think it looks like some big ass essays…but we shall see.

We went to Deepa’s office and gave in our passport photos. Then we went and had another milkshake in Coffee Day and went to get some internet. Lauren has acquired a stalker and so we tried calling their number in Reliance, as we are sure that is where he must work. How else could they have our phone number?

Went with Mr Pardeep and his brother to visit the landlord’s house. His mother was there and she made us some lemonade and biscuits, and then retired to the other side of the room and looked on. The way they treat women here is pretty strange. They only answer you if they have to, but if there is a man with you they will speak to him and him alone. Women seem to be relegated to ‘meek and mild’ status and we are expected to cook and be quiet I think. It is annoying when men stare at you on the street or on the metro, as you have to just look down and not stare back because it is immodest. Weird.

Managed to negotiate our contract fairly well however. Pardeep’s brother has invited himself to our flat for dinner one night. We need to sort out furniture as well, and apparently we can do this on Thursday. So hopefully, all is fairly well.

No comments:

Post a Comment