Tuesday 1 September 2009

1st September

September! The month where everything will supposedly get colder! Amazing times,

Today Lauren’s friend from home is coming to visit her on part of his round the world trip. We are meeting him later in Parana Ganj and we are going to go to the Red Fort, which I have yet to go to.

Had another theory class today on Plato. I am really warming to that lecturer. I am also starting to think that I am going to have to meet them outside of lectures to discuss things, because there really is no scope for developing your own ideas and arguments when you are just getting lectured at. I know that in Edinburgh the leap from 2nd to 3rd year is a fairly major one, so I just feel like I might not have progressed very much by the end of this if I don’t go out of my way to try and convince one of them to chat to me occasionally. Lauren thinks the same. She had had to prepare a presentation for today, but when she got to class she found out that half the people hadn’t read the book they had had an essay due in the week before for, never mind done a presentation. And then the lecturer came in and didn’t even mention the presentation. She had stressed out about the whole thing, but if half the class haven’t even begun their work and no one cares, it doesn’t bode well for the modes of assessment here. We have decided that if needs be, we would rather repeat third year than go into fourth year and scrape a 2:2 or something.

Our history lecture was cancelled, so we caught the metro early into New Delhi. As usual, huge masses of people in the station, all with their luggage on their heads. It is quite a sight to see. I have no idea how they can balance massive suitcases on there.

Unlike our last excursion here, there is no mud bath, and we can see the streets. After much wandering through tiny back streets (one with a cow lying down in the middle of it, so we had to step over it) we found Stephen’s hostel after about ten minutes of aimlessness. It seems pretty good. The hostels here are fairly good I have to say, and all pretty cheap. So you know, if you are coming to visit me hint hint you should totally stay there. Though, I would not recommend it if you are a girl alone or with only one guy, as a lot of hostels won’t let you in the same room unless you produce a marriage certificate.

Went for some lunch at the Everest roof top kitchen, and I had parantha and paneer. I have to say, I have grown quite fond of paneer, which is a cottage cheese type thing that is in quite a lot of things, including curry. Afterwards we went down into the street when it began to rain very heavily. Within thirty seconds we were soaked to the skin, and my white t-shirt was suddenly an awful plan. Took refuge in New Delhi station and decided that Red Fort and Chandni Chowk was a bad plan, and that we would go to the museum instead.

The museum here is fairly cool, and I can get in for 1Rs with a student card (300 for all other foreigners). It has ancient and medieval Indian art galore, and a room that was unfortunately partly closed off with loads of beautiful bronze sculptures of the Gods. There was also quite a lot of Buddhist and Jain art, which was very interesting, and a Buddhist devotional relic stand that had bits of skin and so on in it like the saints’ do in Catholic churches. One of the most interesting things I saw was a portrait of one of the Mughal emperor’s from the time of James VI and I where he is holding a portrait of the Madonna.

By the time we got out the museum it was dry again, but we were damp and exhausted. Decided to call it a day and get back to the hostel for afternoon tea and let Stephen get some sleep. I need a cup of tea…I am very very tired and I am not entirely sure why.

The cup of tea was the ultimate restorative. I have to say, the tea and biscuits every day at five o’clock is an absolutely amazing tradition that should be in place for the rest of my days. It is a very English tradition, but if it is a product of colonialism that this hostel practices, I am all for it.

Going to AIM later to get the old faithful: pomegranate shakes and free wifi. Cannot wait, it is going to be great. I can even publish this thing on the net. 

Going to my first gig tomorrow! Apparently it is fusion music, but technically the Lady GaGa/Kaminey mash up of Saturday night is fusion, so I don’t feel too enthusiastic. But we shall see. This place surprises at every single turn.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment