Friday 25 September 2009

24th September

Lauren has gone to hospital. She is on a drip because she is dehydrated and needs fluid urgently. I feel terrible for her. She looked a bit funny this morning and I said about going to the doctors and she said no, but obviously changed her mind. Just as well she did. But it is such a shame: she hates needles and things and to have had so many stuck in you when you are already feeling upset must have been quite traumatic. Poor girl, I feel so sorry for her. Thank God Egle at least was with her. 

Amanda is a lot better today: she managed toast and jam at breakfast. I tried to eat cereal and it came straight back up. Not so cool. I feel ok though, I think I should just keep drinking water and stuff. I am going to my lecture with Amanda, so we will see what happens.

After our lecture, which was a repeat of Tuesday, we went to the hospital. Amanda couldn’t stay long as she felt too hot and needed to lie down. I stayed for a few hours with Lauren. She looks better, but she said she has been quite upset. Thankfully the room she is in is clean and the doctors here seem competent. She is in the hospital up our road, called NuLife. I promised to go back later on in the afternoon and bring her some home comforts, as they are keeping her in overnight.

When I got back to the hostel I tried to do a little bit of work. Went to afternoon tea as well and had a couple of cups of sugary tea and felt a hundred times better. Tea and coca cola is getting me through the day. Went straight to the hospital from tea; everyone else is coming in a moment or two.

Lauren looks ten times better. Apparently she has been through 4 bottles of fluid, two of antibiotics and several injections. She can’t feel anything, but at least she is sitting up and looking chirpier. Ben appeared with some biscuits, a photo of himself and the guardian crossword. An odd selection of presents, but appreciated nonetheless. Amanda managed to come by as well and we spent the next three hours or so entertaining Lauren and hassling doctors to try and find out what is happening to her. They brought her some dinner as well, but she didn’t eat much of it.

We left her to sleep at half eight and went back to see if we could manage our own dinner. Minaxi, the madam of the hostel, was really good to us and gave us yoghurt to have with some rice. I managed a couple of bites and then felt really hot and had to leave and sit down somewhere. Watched Gladiator in the TV room to take advantage of the aircon.

Called to another bloody SWA meeting where I was chided for looking downcast despite the fact I was doing my level best not to fall over. Stupid people. The meeting was pointless, and I get the impression our president is slightly power-hungry, or at least very organized and fond of structure.

I think another early night is needed. We want to go to lectures tomorrow again and also get Lauren out of hospital tomorrow morning. We will see how it goes though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment