Sunday 27 September 2009

25th September

Breakfast was attempted…breakfast failed. I think the bus into uni did it. It was very bumpy and I felt terrible afterwards.
Called Lauren. Apparently the doctor is nowhere to be found and she has had to tell several nurses to go away and not take her blood without his permission. They told her that she should have an ultrasound and liver test as well, but gave no reason. We think it may be a money-making scheme, as Marie was a little bit sick and they gave her one despite the fact she quite obviously had absolutely nothing wrong with her liver or ovaries, she was just a little off colour. Amanda has gone to be with her right now and find out when we can get her out of the hospital. I will go after class.
Class didn’t happen. I am disappointed: Shirshendu is usually really good about taking all his classes, but perhaps something unexpected came up. Since I was feeling a bit crap after throwing up some of my attempted breakfast, Tanya, Nitin and I all took a rickshaw to the hospital to see Lauren. While we were there another nurse came in to take blood for no reason. Lauren asked her several times to get a doctor to explain and she just shook her head, advancing with syringe poised until Lauren ordered her out of the room. This has happened a few times. They also won’t take out her IV despite the fact she no longer needs a drip apparently. So she cannot leave until the doctor gets here, which will be at 11. She looks a lot better. I think she must just need to sleep now and keep eating.
Of course, 11 came and went. We asked the nurses when the doctor would come and they said ‘half an hour’, which means some time this afternoon. So Amanda and I left for Kamla Nagar, as Amanda wanted some new jeans. We found a nice pair in the Levis shop for only 2000Rs. I hate how you walk into stores and the store attendants do not leave you be. I find it really intrusive: I just want to be left alone to look for myself! Not have everything pulled out and displayed for me, as I am not going to buy it! They have no concept of ‘having a browse’. It gets quite frustrating sometimes, and in the end you just want out the shop so that it will end. We got the jeans however, and then went to On The Go for Lauren. She has placed an order with us for an Italian sandwich, which is a sure sign of her being on the mend. We got blueberry smoothies while we were waiting for it. I have to say, the food in here looks amazing and I will most definitely be back for lunch one day. They even do bruschetta with tomato and basil! So exciting.
By the time we got back to the hostel, Lauren was returned to us (only two hours later than the appointed time). We all went to sleep as soon as we got in. Too much running around in the heat with no energy. Not good!
Managed some soup and yoghurt at dinner. I feel I am definitely on the mend. None of the food I have had since breakfast has come back up. Most positive.
I went straight to bed after dinner. Half past eight. Not too hardcore, but perfectly justified in my opinion. I can’t face another day of this crap. And tomorrow we have to be well for the film. Nitin is taking us to see the latest blockbuster and for dinner, so we need our strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment